Monday 21 February 2011

Gusto, home of the best coffee in Bondi


At the risk of causing dissent among the many (three) followers of this blog I’m going to call it: Gusto, a café at #16 Hall Street, serves the best coffee in Bondi. 


Maybe even the best coffee within an eight-kilometre radius of the Pavilion. The perfect strength, temperature and ratio of milk to hot water. Every single time.  Mind you, the coffee can also come served with attitude. 


Back in the day, it took a year or so before I was considered a regular and they started remembering my standard order. It’s an essential skill for a barista mainly because I can’t remember anything as important as how I like my coffee before I've had a shot of caffeine. 


There's still a fair share of local hipsters buying their lattes, breakfast rolls, granola or Cuban steak sandwiches. Although not everyone spends hours getting ready to parade their glad rags - one guy used to turn up in his pyjamas. 

Even Bondi Curmudgeon agrees that the coffee is pretty special. He refuses to go there because he can’t stand the crowd, but is happy for me to get take-away’s for the two of us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment